Wednesday, December 03, 2014

The 2014 Advent-ure : #3


Bobby Powell - early doors.

I wasn't sure if I had posted a Bobby Powell track before so I had to check. It turns out I have - another Whit 45 of his was lurking behind door #2 of my 2012 Advent-ure. It must be something about this time of year that brings out the Bobby Powell in me!

So this time Bobby is one door later, with a 45 that was one release earlier in the Whit catalog than the 45 I featured in 2012. There's a certain strange symmetry to all this. Perhaps there's a bit of NOLA magic in the air.  

Why Am I Treated So Bad was written by "Pops" Staples and originally performed by the Staple Singers. That's a helluva act to follow, but Bobby Powell cuts a really strong version.       

Bobby Powell - Why Am I Treated So Bad  1967

No comments: